The 7th Regular Meeting of the Lodge was held by Dispensation on Monday 27 October 1913 at Freemasons’ Hall, Hunter Street, Chester. The Worshipful Master, W. Bro. Charles E. Keyser was in the Chair assisted by W. Bro. D.L. Hewitt, Senior Warden and W. Bro, A.J. Shelley-Thompson as Acting Immediate Past Master. The Summons convening the meeting was read as was the Dispensation. A letter was then read from V.W. Bro. The Lord Bishop of Chichester, the Master-Elect, expressing his regret that owing to his increased Episcopal duties he was unable to undertake the duties as Worshipful Master of the Lodge. His Majesty King Christian X of Denmark was then unanimously elected an Honorary Member of the Lodge as were the 4 Joining Members proposed at the last meeting.
It was then proposed by the Worshipful Master and seconded by W. Bro. Shelley-Thompson:
‘That a Letter of Condolence be sent to Worshipful Brother Sir William Hesketh Lever, Bart., P.P.G.W., expressing to him the overwhelming sorrow of the Lodge and their sincere sympathy with him in the great loss the G.A.O.T.U. has thought fit in His Inscrutable Wisdom to lay upon Sir William Hesketh Lever by taking unto Himself, his loving wife, and our dear friend, and to tell our Brother that the memory of Lady Lever will never be effaced from the minds of the members of The Lodge of King Solomon’s Temple.’
This resolution was unanimously carried by all the Brethren standing and in silence. The 4 following candidates for full membership of the Lodge as Joining Members were then proposed:
W. Bro. Thomas C.T. Smith
Bro. James Benjamin Reynolds
Bro. Major Francis Samuel Barnett
W. Bro. Robert Wardle
The Lodge was closed in time, form, and harmony, after solemn prayer by the Worshipful Master.
The next day, 28 October 1913, the party of members, visitors and ‘lady friends’ left the Grosvenor Hotel at 10.30 am for Llangollen by ‘motors’. The route took them through Gresford and then Wrexham where they stopped to visit Wrexham Church. Lunch at 1.00 pm was at the Royal Hotel, Llangollen after which, at 2.00 pm, they saw the Old Church which had recently been restored with its beautiful old oak roof said to have once belonged to the Abbey of Valle Crucis. In the church-yard they were able to see the tombs of the ‘Ladies of Llangollen’, Lady Eleanor Butler and Miss Sarah Ponsonby. At 3.30 pm they visited the Abbey of Valle Crucis, built in 1200 A.D. by Madog ap Gruffudd Maelor, Lord of Dinas Bran, it was dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Afternoon tea was then served at the Royal Hotel before returning to Chester.
KING CHRISTIAN X OF DENMARK (1870-1947) was a ruler who stressed the importance of royal dignity. His reign spanned two world wars and the role he played as an heroic symbol of Danish nationalism and resistance under Nazi rule made him a popular monarch. During the German occupation he rode his horse daily through the streets of Copenhagen unaccompanied. He was proposed as an Honorary Member of the Lodge of King Solomon’s Temple (3464) on 13 June 1913.